Senior Research Associate
Dr. Irene Berkowitz
Dr. Berkowitz also designs and teaches popular graduate courses in Ted Rogers School of Management MBA program and RTA School of Media, working at the intersections of media, brand and digital shift. She received a PhD from Ryerson University Communication and Culture in 2016, and previous degrees from the University of Chicago and Cornell University. Her PhD research, called “trailblazing,” which examined the critical role of development in Canadian TV drama, attracted national attention during CRTC’s proceeding on Canadian TV in the Internet era, Let’s Talk TV.
Berkowitz is recognized for conceptual and strategic contributions in the regulator’s key decision following this proceeding, The Way Forward (CRTC 2015-86). Berkowitz was a delegate to 2016 Singularity University Executive Program in Mountain View, California, purposed to assist leaders to respond to 21st century exponentially accelerating technologies.
Projects & Publications
- 2016 (December 22): Salim Ismail: Canadian leadership is now a moral imperative. betakit.
- 2016 (December 1): Cable TV is about to be disrupted, and the CRTC knows it. The Globe and Mail.
- 2016 (November): In it to win it: Canadian content for a global audience. Internal white paper for Canada Media Fund.
- 2016 (October 5): Ten media takeaways from Silicon Valley. CMF Trends.
- 2016 (May): The Shallows: My favourite book is so deep. Think: Lola Stein Institute Journal. Spring 2016 (No. 18), p. 30-31.
- 2015 (July 6): Yanking the value chain: how to make global hits. Playback.
- 2015 (June 10): In TV’s Golden Age, viewers are already on line. Industry must follow. The Globe and Mail Report on Business.
- 2015 (March 13): CRTC gets it: Time to make ‘hits’ not ‘shows’, The Globe and Mail.
- 2014 (September 15). Canadians want good programs, not 300 channels. The Globe and Mail.
- 2014 (September 9): Let’s Talk TV, remarks to the Commission. Can Con to Can Brand: Let’s pivot our goal from domestic supply to global demand.
- 2014 (June 27): Submission to Let’s Talk TV. Brain Drain to Brain Chain | Can Con to Can Brand — Re-framing the challenge of English-language Canadian TV drama.
- 2014 (July 7): Is it time to re-brand Canadian TV? Playback.
- 2012: Co-author. Davis, C.H., Berkowitz, I., and Mills. Getting on the global playlist: Innovation scorecard for new product development in screen media. Ryerson RTA School of Media
- 2008: Co-author. Davis, C.H., Vladica, F. & Berkowitz, I. Business capabilities of small entrepreneurial media firms: Independent production Canadian children’s TV. Journal Media Business Studies, 5(1) 9-39.
- 2006: Dance with the Elephant, Canadian Story-Telling in the Digital Age. Award-winning Graduate Student Research Article Competition.